Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Best Neil Young Quotes Ever - And Why


No doubt, Neil Young has written some of the greatest song lyrics ever. But often, it is his interviews that hold some real treasures. For a quiet, introverted guy, his profession as a performer forces him into some great moments in interviews. I decided to compile as many as I could and come up with my favorites. So here they are... My favorite Neil Young quotes ever - and why.

"I don't like to be labeled, to be anything. I've made the mistake before myself of labeling my music, but it's counter-productive."

After decades of constantly changing and refining, and revisiting his sound, it really is difficult to describe his music. To be sure, Comes A Time, Harvest, Harvest Moon all have a similar vibe. But put those next to Freedom and Broken Arrow and it gets tougher to pinpoint what his label would really be. His breadth of work has at least accomplished that much.

"I feel like I could be likened to an old hound circling on a rug for the last five years."

Back in 1984. He was a rock and roll star who had grown weary of playing rock music. He had just finished touring with Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and the Judds. His sound had definitely turned more in the country direction. He felt like he had finally found his place. Nevermind that by 1990 he put out Ragged Glory -a clear departure. But a great one.

"When the punk thing came along and I heard my friends saying, I hate these people with the pins in their ears. I said, Thank God, something got their attention."

Talking about Johnny Rotten and punk in a Boston Globe interview. Young was one of the only old guard rockers who took an interest in the punk movement. He was referring to the essence of punk music as a backlash against the polished, layered schlock rock that had taken hold of mainstream music at the time. At least, he thought, they were waking everyone up.




If you agree with my choices or not...You still cant help but listen when he's talking and you gotta agree that he makes great music!

If you dig Neil Young you might also check out Dean Fields. He's got a similar vibe and way with words.

Click Here to get a free copy of his latest single.




No comments:

Post a Comment